Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Latin for Children Primer A Review


Have you decided on whether or not you will teach Foreign Language in your homeschool?  If so, have you picked a language?  Maybe you are like us and you have tried a couple.  Maybe you have picked one and it isn't working out.

We started with an easy PK Spanish program many years ago and it just wasn't for us.  Then two years ago I decided to make the switch to Latin.  That is when I first heard about Classical Academic Press.  Classical Academic Press specializes in classical subjects, such as Latin, and presents them to children in a fun, engaging, and effective manner.

For this review we were given the Latin for Children Primer A Mastery Bundle, which includes the Primer A Textbook, Answer Key, DVD and Chant CD Set, History Reader, and Activity Book.

What I like best about Latin for Children is how all of the products work together.  Before starting a chapter, we sat down and watched the DVD, which includes chapter by chapter guidance and teaching.  I personally think the DVDs are an essential part of the program!  It is so much easier to understand a tough concept when someone is teaching it rather than just reading it on your own.

Next we would review the grammar chant and vocabulary words and listen to the chant CD (which I also think is an important part of the program).

As the week went on, we would review the previous days grammar and vocabulary, as well as complete any new worksheets, activity sheets, and quizzes. 

At the end of the chapter we would watch the DVD again, just to emphasize what the chapter was about (and hopefully help with anything we may have been fuzzy on).

Another thing I LOVE about Classical Academic Press is their FREE Resources!!  You really do need to check these out.  Not only do they have FREE flash cards, charts, and exercises, they also have a fun website called Headventureland.  This whole site is FREE and it includes games and stories to go along with all of their products.  My daughter absolutely loves the stories!

There is even a "Ask the Magister" section where you can submit a question to their magister (or teacher).  You just include the textbook or subject you are asking about and they will get back to you within 1 or 2 days.


My Thoughts:  We are really enjoying this program.  Just within the first two chapters, we have both learned so much more than we had in previous years.  As I said before, the DVDs and CDs bring so much more to the program, so I highly recommend them.  The chants and songs are especially catchy and I will find my daughter is just singing them on her own throughout the day.  It is much more helpful than just reading a boring chart (and they are even helping me remember too).

Classical Academic Press has created a comprehensive and fun Latin program that teaches children from Kindergarten all the way through high school

Thoughts of a 7-Year Old:  My favorite thing about Latin for Children A is the funny little show at the end of some of the chapters on the DVD.  I also like the Tale of Two Princesses on Headventureland.  I've learned a lot and I'm eager for more.

Find Out MoreLatin for Children is a three year program for grades 3 and up.  All pieces of the program can be purchased separately or as a bundle.  The Primer A Textbook is on sale right now for $19.51 (normally $22.95), but the Mastery Bundle, which includes all that I listed above is only $99.95, a much better deal than buying everything separately.  Here you can see links to a sample chapter, suggested weekly schedule, and FAQs. 

My Crewmates are also reviewing Latin for Children A (as well as other products from Classical Academic Press), so you can check out what they think HERE.


Disclosure: This product was given to Our Homeschool Reviews for free for review purposes, and I do not have to return the product to the vendor. I have received no compensation from it and all opinions and experiences within this review are my own.

 

1 comments:

MadameDeals

I am now following you from the hop. Please, help us reach our goal of 1,500 friends so we can offer great prizes. Thank you, Amee from MadameDeals.com

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!