Thursday, December 29, 2011

Flashnote Derby Review


Funny Bunny has been taking piano lessons for two years now.  She has completed four lesson books and is about half way through her fifth.  She loves to practice and can play songs by ear, which she got from hubby.  {I should note here that I have no musical ability whatsoever!} 

Something else she does really well is memorize the songs she is learning.  While this may seem great, combine this with learning by ear, and you have a child who doesn't necessarily read all the notes. 

We have flashcards but they are pretty boring and rarely get used.  But recently I heard of Flashnote Derby, and had to check it out.

Flashnote Derby was designed by a music teacher, for music teachers and their students. 


Flashnote Derby is a fun app in which students respond to note name flashcards in order to urge their horse and jockey on past their opponent. Answering quickly and correctly will cause their horse to gain ground, while incorrect answers will cause it to fall behind.

The game is fully customizable to allow for any desired notes in the treble or bass clefs to be included. You can select ranges of notes, or several individual notes to focus on specific areas that need work. The amount of time the player is given for each flashcard can be increased or decreased depending upon their age and level of experience.

At the end of each race, students can review the notes they missed and see the correct response. 


My Thoughts:  This is a simple and fun app for children.  I like that every aspect of the game can be customized: speed, number of questions, and the notes.  It's great for beginners.  The positive reinforcement is good and it is nice that any incorrect answers are reviewed.  And you can't beat the price!  I really think this is a great tool. 

Thoughts of an 8-Year Old:  I like Flashnote Derby because it helps me learn my notes.  I started out slow with just a few notes and after I did good on those, I added more.  Then I added notes for both hands and that was a little harder.  

Find Out More:  You can find out more about this app online at http://flashnotederbyapp.com/  It is currently on sale for only $0.99 and aimed at ages 5 to 12. 

Disclosure: I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!