Monday, January 17, 2011

Homeschooling While Working

The question has been asked, "How do you juggle working either in the home or outside the home and homeschooling?"

Well I have worked on and off, both in and out of our home, since the birth of our daughter.  When she was about six months old and then again a few years later, I would go into work once a week for a few hours a day to help out.  The first time only lasted a few months, but the second time I was working for about a year.  Although I only went into work once a week, I would also work at home a few hours each day.  At the time we were not homeschooling but I was staying at home with our daughter and either my parents or my dh's parents would watch her when I went into work and I worked at home during her naps or in the evenings when she was sleeping.

A couple years after that I worked at home for a company taking inbound sales calls.  Again, this was when our daughter was still taking naps so I would only work during her nap time.  Once she was through with naps completely, it was harder for me to find time to work during the day.

Since then, I have had a business at home, making and selling girls' hair accessories (bows, headbands, etc).  I would make them every chance I would get, but mostly in the evenings and weekends when dh was home.  I had a few home shows but coordinated those with playdates, so the children played and the moms would check out my stuff.  I also attended a few craft shows on the weekends and sold at those. 

Since our daughter has been officially homeschooling, which has been about 1 1/2 years, the only job I have had has been with the TOS Crew.  I try to work on my blog, reviews, and other posts early in the morning before she wakes up.  Her school work is very teacher-directed, so I do spend a lot of time one-on-one with her during the day.  If it's a school day, like today, I work on my blog during her breaks and while she is working on an assignment that she can handle on her own. 

It's takes good time management and organization to pull it off.  Not only am I homeschooling, but I have to worry about cleaning the house, doing the laundry, cooking the meals, running errands, and tending to the dog.  It's a lot to think about, but I just can't be sitting still during the day.  If I'm not "working", I'm working on something, like couponing, co-ops, and field trips...but I wouldn't change it for the world!


 

6 comments:

the Mcclanahan 7

I am alway working too, I think it is good to stay busy.

Jill

Hi there - just found you through sixinthenest's tuesday blog hop.
I agree it's all about time management. Although I don't home school my girls, I do help out at their school when I can, and we do stuff at home evenings, weekends and holidays to give them the best start we can!
Your blog looks REALLY interesting!and I'm looking forward to having a good explore of it! - oh and I'm now following!! :)

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
www.jembellish.blogspot.com

(Single)Mommy

Sounds like you're super busy! I work and go to school full time and I have a 20 month old on top of all the things you listed at the bottom. It's crazy sometimes but I really just have to do time management like you said and stay focused. I'm a new follower of yours I'd love for you to follow me back @ My Adventures in Mommyland

Kathryn

So it can be done!! Way to go! :)I think I will really need to work at my time management skills, especially as we begin homeschooling in earnest in the Fall.

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas

Time management is key! I work part-time while my girls attend preschool in the morning. I would love to homeschool but know we can't afford to have me home permanently - I will go back to teaching once my youngest enters Kindergarten in 2 years.

I do alot of work with them at home though and it is hard to juggle everything but as you said - I wouldn't trade a minute of it!

new follower- would love a follow back!
Bernadette
http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/bern425

Jodi

You are right about that time management! It's very hard when you work at home to just put it away and forget about it. Thanks for participating in the BC this week!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!