Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Memoria Press: Prima Latina Review

 photo mp_header_zps9aa8d9dc.jpg

Memoria Press is a family-run publishing company that produces simple and easy-to-use classical Christian education materials for home and private schools.  Their products are characterized by three things: simplicity, quality, and affordability, and are designed to be accessible to homeschool families who have no familiarity with the subject being taught.

Prima Latina, an introduction to Christian Latin, is a gentle start to Latin for young elementary children in grades 2-4, and is what I received to review.

 photo PL_completeSet_zps91680a55.png
Prima Latina includes:

* 25 lessons, each including grammar
* 5 vocabulary words with English derivatives per lesson
* A practical Latin phrase per lesson
* One line of a prayer per lesson
* Easy-to-read, 2-color format

Here you can view the Table of Contents and a Sample Lesson 1.

Before I start my review I want to preface it with the fact that Funny Bunny has been studying Latin for a few years now.  She started with a program for younger students and then moved on to a program that is a bit more advanced than Prima Latina.  Prima Latina would have been the perfect solution for her to complete between the two.  Of course we didn't do that at the time, so now it is more of a review, but I would recommend it, and below I tell you why.

Prima Latina's approach and format are very simple!  Each of the 25 lessons have just four pages.  The first two pages teach the lesson and the next two include exercises for the child to complete.


I absolutely recommend the dvd to go along with the lessons in the book!  I am not a Latin teacher so not only does it help teach each lesson, but it also helps with pronunciation. 

I also appreciate that the exercises in each lesson provide a constant review of materials learned throughout the course.  Now I will say that some parts of the dvd became a little too repetitive for me, but I'm not in elementary school, so I know it is helpful to the young student.  And even though this was mostly review for Funny Bunny, she never complained about the dvd and seemed to enjoy it very much.

Lastly, I LOVE that songs and prayers are included!!  One constant complaint from my daughter about learning Latin is that no one speaks it.  Teaching songs and prayers is a great way for students to actively use the Latin they have learned.  

So how did we use Prima Latina?  Funny Bunny and I watched each lesson on dvd one day and she completed the exercises the next.  I would recommend that students brand new to Latin also then follow up with the flashcards and CD. We plan to work through the rest of the book over the summer.

Edited on 3-11-14 -  The Latin program that we were using became to difficult for Funny Bunny so I decided to let her take a step back and use Prima Latina.  We are now on the last chapter, and even though it was mostly review for her, she did learn some new things and she did not have a hard time with it.  I would definitely recommend it!


Thoughts of a 10-Year Old:  Prima Latina was fun, even though I already knew a lot of the words.  I think that all in all, it was a good Latin program. I also really enjoyed learning one of the the prayers, the Sanctus. (I can't wait until I learn it by heart - when someone asks me to pray at dinner, nobody will know what I'm saying!)

Find Out More:  You can find out more online at Memoria PressPrima Latina is for grades 2-4 and can be purchased individually or in a bundle.  The Prima Latina Complete Set includes the Student Book, Teacher Manual, Pronunciation CD, Instructional DVDs, and Flashcards and is $90.90.  The Text Set includes the Student Book, Teacher Manual, and Pronunciation CD and is $32.95.  Like I said before though, I really recommend the DVD. 

My Crewmates are also reviewing Memoria Press, so you can check out what they think HERE.




©2010-2013 Our Homeschool Reviews. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://ourhomeschoolreviews.blogspot.com/

1 comments:

Noel

Great post, thanks for sharing!
http://www.limyservers.com/

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!