Monday, September 3, 2012

Menu Plan Monday - September 3


Happy Labor Day!  I can't believe it's September already!  Well I mentioned in my Homeschool Mother's Journal post on Saturday that I watched several documentaries on food and am going to try to move toward a more plant based diet.  Funny Bunny and I pre-shopped the grocery store on Friday to research and pick out a few things but today we will be going on our regular shopping trip.

On Friday we picked up a few staples that include:

Old Fashioned Oatmeal
Steel Cut Oats
Shredded Wheat
Grape Nuts
Raisins
Dried Cranberries
Corn Kernels for making popcorn (these were B1G1 at Publix)
Vegetable Broth
Several cans of beans
Soy Milk

Today we'll be getting the following:

Tons of fruits and veggies
More cans of beans
Extra firm tofu
Brown Sugar

Looking at that list it doesn't seem like we can make many meals from it but we can.  Here is our menu for the week:

Breakfasts:

Slow Cooker Oats with Fruit {I did not add the butter} or a variation of Rip's Big Bowl from the Engine 2 Diet.  Mine includes a handful or Shredded Wheat, Old Fashioned Oatmeal, and Grape Nuts with whatever fruit we have.  Today I added raisins and peaches and Soy Milk.  YUM!!


Dinners:

Spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce (we already had this)
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
Minestrone Soup
Rainbow Stirfry
Homemade Pizza - I'm going to attempt to make this pizza crust

I am also going to make this Easy and Decadent No-Knead Wheat Bread today. 

Two websites that I have found extremely helpful are VegWeb and Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.  The latter has a nice section named Ridiculously Easy Recipes, which is my kind of title!!  ;)

There is also The Engine 2 Diet, which is the movie Funny Bunny and I watched to get excited about eating more plant based.

I do want to add that we have not emptied the kitchen of all "bad" foods.  We still have some cheese and eggs, along with milk that I think FB will have a hard time giving up.  The freezer holds some shrimp and I'm sure we have some bad snacks hanging around.  This is our trial/test week to try new foods and see what we like.

So wish us luck and I will try to update you on how the recipes taste and on our progress.

5 comments:

Melanie

Good for you! I love all the links you posted...especially the Engine 2! Going plant based is the best decision you can make for your health, the animals and the environment. Way to go!

Here are some other awesome plant based sites you'll love:

http://happyherbivore.com/blog/
http://ohsheglows.com/
http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/

Kim

I hope y'all have a great week!!! Everything sounds good! :-)

Lisa in Jax

Vegweb has a great recipe called Enjedra. We really love it! It is lentils over top brown rice and topped with spinach. Almost everyone loves it here. :)

Have a great week!

Lisa

Our Homeschool Reviews

Melanie, thanks for the links. I have seen the Plant Powered Kitchen but am going to take a look a the other two.

Lisa, I'll check that out too. :)

Kim

Happy Herbivore has a FB page called Herbie Parents. It has some good information and ideas. Oh She Glows is an inspiring site! More to look through. :-)

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!