Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Math Mammoth Review

 photo logo_zps1488a12d.jpg

Math Mammoth offers affordable, yet quality math worktexts and workbooks for grades 1-12, and was created by Maria Miller, a homeschool mom with a degree in mathematics. 

Math Mammoth offers a LOT of options for students, and it can be a little confusing...so let me break it down for you.

You can choose from many different series of books:

* A complete curriculum for grades 1-6 (Light Blue Series)
* Books by topic for grds 1-7, w/instr. and exercises (Blue Series)
* Worksheets by grade for grades 3-8 (Golden Series)
* Worksheets by topic for grades 3-7 (Green Series)
* Review workbooks for grades 1-5: Comprehensive review of the specific grade level of math.
* Make It Real Learning workbooks for grades 3-12.  Real life math.

I received the Math Mammoth Complete Math Curriculum (Light Blue Series) for Grade 5, so I'll be sharing with you our experiences with it.
The Light Blue Series is a complete curriculum for grades 1-6.  Each grade has two student worktexts (A and B), and supportive materials, which include answer keys, tests, and additional cumulative reviews.  In the download version {which is what I received}, an additional worksheet maker to make extra practice worksheets is included.

Each sheet contains explanations of the topics and it's like a textbook & workbook in the same book.  For this review, Funny Bunny completed Chapter 1: The Four Operations.  This was a nice review for her {and she even learned something new}.  If you click on the picture below you can see instructions at the top and her work below.  Click the link to see more samples of the Light Blue Series


My Thoughts:  Once downloaded, the worksheets are easy to access and print out.  For me though, it was too much to print out each day, so I would have rather had the spiral bound printed copy.  It costs a little more, but for one child, I think it would be well worth it.

Unfortunately, although I felt each worksheet was straightforward and simple, Funny Bunny did not like them.  :(  I think for us, we would probably be more drawn to the Green Series to supplement our current math curriculum.  And I also think the Real Life Math looks neat and since it is so affordable, I may try it out!

Thoughts of a 10-Year Old: I did not really like Math Mammoth for some reason. It wasn't harder then any other math I've used, I think maybe I just didn't like all the worksheets.  I did learn some new things, though, so that was good.

Find Out More:  You can find out more online at Math Mammoth.  The Math Mammoth Complete Math Curriculum (Light Blue Series) for Grade 5 is just $34 for the whole downloaded set.  The full set on CD is $39.  This is great for large families!  A spiral bound printed copy is $17.95 for A and $17.95 for B.  A printed answer key is $14.95 and printed tests and cumulative reviews are $15.95 each.  Still more affordable than many other math options! You can also sign up by email and get over 350 FREE sample worksheets!  And back in 2011 I reviewed the Math Mammoth Complete Math Curriculum for Grade 3, so make sure to check that out too.

My Crewmates are also reviewing Math Mammoth, so you can check out what they think HERE.




©2010-2013 Our Homeschool Reviews. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://ourhomeschoolreviews.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!