Wednesday, October 30, 2013

VocabularySpellingCity Review

 photo VSCLogo300x300_zpsa95c604b.jpg

We seem to tackle spelling a little different each year.  In the past we have used leveled spelling lists and this year we are mainly using dictation, but for the past couple years we have also used VocabularySpellingCity.  

VocabularySpellingCity is an award winning website for K-12 that focuses on Vocabulary, Spelling, Writing, and Language Arts.  We received their Premium Membership for this review.

Features Include: 

* Over 50,000 words and 60,000 customizable sentences and definitions
* A real person who says each word and sentence
* Home pages for teachers and parents to save lists
* Teacher Training Videos
* Printable handwriting worksheets
* Teaching resources with lists and lesson plans
* Games to play online or to print
* A forum and newsletters


The BEST part about VocabularySpellingCity is that you can use the basic features of their site for FREE!! You simply start by entering your words.


Of course, becoming a premium member has its benefits, which you can see below.


I received a one-year Premium Membership and here is how we have been using it.

Funny Bunny is an excellent speller, so instead of using a spelling and vocabulary list for her grade {which I knew she would have no trouble with} I have made my own lists using her science and history vocabulary words. I cannot begin to tell you how this has helped her, and it is so much more fun for her than writing definitions or using flash cards.

Once I have added a student, I can either find a pre-made list or create my own. There are thousands of ready-to-use word lists by subject and/or grade level. Here is just a peek at what you can find.


The Premium Membership lets me keep track of her progress and I can even organize all of her word lists by type. For instance, I have all science word lists in the science folder.


Below you can see that I can view her grades and assignments that she has completed and not yet done. I can also print off all her grades for my records.



My Thoughts: We are loving VocabularySpellingCity! I like that I can use it how I want. I can use their lists, make my own, make short lists, long lists, and add as few or as many activities to each assignment. It is really up to me. It's great that it keeps track of everything and as a reward Funny Bunny can play spelling or vocabulary games. 

Edited on 3-11-14:  VocabularySpellingCity is still our favorite spelling and vocabulary program!

Thoughts of a 10-Year Old: I like VocabularySpellingCity and all of its activities.  The activities are all split into sections based on what their purpose is. 

1. Teach. The teach category consists of two activities: Spelling TeachMe and FlashCards. (FlashCards is for premium members only, so if you aren't a premium member, you cannot use this activity.)

2. Spelling. There are a lot of games in the Spelling category, like HangMouse, Missing Letter, and Test-N-Teach. These are to go over the spelling before the a test.

3. Writing. The only activities in writing are premium - Sentence Writing Practice and Paragraph Writing Practice. These are very similar, and I usually use them as games. The object is to write sentences or paragraphs with all of the vocabulary words. 

4. Vocabulary. Once again, none of these activities can be used without premium membership. The Vocabulary activities include: MatchIt Definitions, WhichWord Sentences, and my favorite of the WHOLE game, Word-o-Rama!! This funny penguin with the toupee talks you through the game show as you answer questions. If you get the answer correct, the penguin says quirky things like, "Thaaaaaat's right!" or "Points for you!"

5. Language Arts. This interesting category has a few activities like Read-A-Word and Alphabetize, and some premium activities are Parts of Speech and Crossword. These help children with their language arts skills.

6. Tests. It's what all of the fun stuff leads up to...the dreaded...spelling and vocabulary tests! Actually, these tests aren't so bad. There's no pressure or time limit, and SpellingTestMe and VocabularyTestMe are not so bad.

And the best part?  The games, of course!  After you've completed an assignment, you can play a game!

I really enjoy VocabularySpelling City and hope you will, too!     

 photo wordorama_zps693e47d4.jpg

Find Out More: You can find out more online at VocabularySpellingCity. The cost of their Premium Membership is just $29.99 a year and is for up to five students. Up to 25 students in a classroom or co-op can use it for just $49.99. They also have a free app for the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.

My Crewmates are also talking about VocabularySpellingCity, so you can check out what they think about it HERE.




©2010-2013 Our Homeschool Reviews. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://ourhomeschoolreviews.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Lynda Schultz

Have a great evening with your daughter and neighbors. I have never felt comfortable with trick or treating, but I let my son be a child and have some fun when he was younger. He outgrew it pretty quickly. I've never felt the need to condemn anyone about this because really the log in my eye is so much bigger than the splinter in theirs. Thanks for sharing from your heart.

Giggly Girls

Couldn't agree more!!! Trick-or-treating doesn't make you a satanist any more than celebrating Christmas makes you a Christian. Enjoy your candy!!!

Our Homeschool Reviews

Thanks for sharing Lynda! I've read several articles on this topic over the past few weeks, but this morning one in particular just tugged at my heart. I feel the same way about letting my dd just have a fun time with friends. But I do understand why it's a heated topic. And I love that verse ~ Matthew 7:3-5...so true!

Our Homeschool Reviews

I agree! :)

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!